Sunday, March 22, 2020

Pandemic journal entry #1


I don’t think I’ll go to work tomorrow. I’ll stay home and talk with a few people about their problems, try to help them ‘get better then feel better’ (to manipulate Ralph Klein’s apothegm that Borderlines come to therapy to feel better, not get better). I suspect that Albert Einstein must have felt good in this mellow kind of way: He was a scientist in his identity, was a scientist in most settings: at the patent office, at Princeton, talking a walk, not while playing the violin, scribbling arcane brilliance on an envelope. I feel like a therapist almost everywhere.

Decades ago I realized that I am thrilled by pandemonium: some crisis involving many people, a big storm or fire, a cluster-fuck of question marks slamming everybody’s head, giving a violin-piano recital (Allegheny College, 1973) with a sudden gust of wind blowing the sheet music about. This coronavirus pandemic gives me a related sensation. We are all now in a formidable theme, at least for the moment, all eyes looking in the same direction. Each individual is now important for him- and herself and for other people. And in this world theme and this double importance, being a therapist feels warmly grand.

Now, the question is: Will people want to work with me as a face and voice on a computer screen? I’ve now had thirteen such clients, first time each. How will they grade me, and will they come back? It feels different, less profound if you will, and I am ambivalent about its goodness.

Addendum

I wonder if my wife feels something similar, about the earth tilting unexpectedly, but I won’t discuss this with her. When I’m busy and relatively happy and income is in slight excess, she becomes very quiet, seemingly grim, stares at her iMac most of the time, over-spends. But when income is modest or scary and troubles encroach (taxes, job stress), she gets galvanized in constructive ways: will look brighter, will talk more, will clean, beautify the apartment, manage like a captain as if everything were fine or better this way, budget and juggle expansively, make lists that get done, light incense.

Have problems on the home front, heal problems on the home front.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.