Saturday, July 28, 2018

A statement about adultness


I close my eyes and lob my mouse at a random magazine home page: Slate.com. “Trump’s Ex-Lawyer Blasts Giuliani for ‘Damaging Trump’s Case Immeasurably.’” “The Hollowness of ‘Have You No Sense of Decency.’” Report: A 6-Year-Old Girl Separated From Parents Twice Abused at Migrant Facility.” “Catholic Church’s Abuse Cover-Up Looks Worse and Worse.” “Trump Thought He Was Friends With Turkey’s Erdogan. Now He’s Mad.” “Photo of Don Jr. and Mueller Captures a Moment in a High-States Game of Cat and Mouse.” “Black Man Accuses Sean Spicer of Using Racial Slur, Trying to Fight Him in School.” “Decade-Long Republican Gerrymanders Could Be Undone By Reckless GOP Emails.” “Glass Ceiling Broken! Kimberly Guilfoyle Shows Women Can Be Alleged Fox News Sexual Harassers, Too.” “If Trump Knew About the Russia Meeting, He Could Be on the Hook for Conspiracy.” “Facebook Temporarily Banning Alex Jones Plays Right Into His Hands.”

Does one have to see through my strange eyes to wonder: Is adulthood just a fantasy that children read in their bedtime fairy tales, then later come to believe from false nostalgia? Let me disabuse anyone’s possible delusion that anything immanent in these headlines is adult, mature, the strength and wisdom to support children, the ethical and decent life most of us contain in our “collective unconscious.” These headlines are about wayward and delinquent children, children who failed the psycho-developmental stages and now lurch about in suits in the ridiculous world they’ve made.

I have grown such an allergy to these “adults falseness, pretension and pursuits that I cannot care about them but for the most impactful nonsense (Trump’s impeachment versus survival, for example), and feel some withering sorrow for everyone else who finds them vital; who grants them a validity and importance that should be given to our own private concerns, and to nature.

To reiterate: The adult world, at least that we read about, is irrational, ignorant and wrong about self, hunger-based, pain-based, power-based, revenge-based, masturbatory. It is mask-based, the mask of thought, thought that lives so far and bent above the childhood feeling truth of it that we are effectively trapped in an illusion, a dream. A dream that most will never awaken from.

Is it worth even thinking about what real adultness is? I think it features a tendency to be aware of our flaws and source tragedies (childhood and later) and not let them ruin us, or others. That’s the “artificial” component. The natural component could obtain only if we were raised in love, to be free and decent people. A quick thought that I suspect is accurate: No one who travels into the public, political sphere had that kind of childhood.

1 comment:

  1. TPS - May I offer this YouTube video as an antidote to the burden of noticing what's going on all around us.....it's not my usual musical style of choice but then, we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater right?;);). The title says it all.....I read that the phrase was attributed to some American politician during some existential crisis, but it covers much of what we see in this "modern" world. To parody another well-known phrase - "What doesn't do you good, kills you." - personally, I do try to keep all the distractions distant from me. (not always successfully - I have eyes and ears, sensors that are difficult to nullify, it's nature). Read a book. Clean my motorcycle, or go out for a ride on it, alone, but not lonely. I was smarter when I was 16 than I am now. Then, I was consumed by fixing my car or motorbike, roasting potatoes on a campfire, cycling 50 miles to the seaside etc etc......it's easy to lose one's way along the path.(lose one's real self, the "comfortable" you). Apologise in advance for the "bubblegumness" of the music, but the title encompasses the tragi-comedy we see before us day by day. https://youtu.be/7aItpjF5vXc

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.