Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Just a comment on today's Slate.com article, "Child Separation Is a Medical Emergency"


As I’m writing this comment, “23 people are listening” at this Slate article. I’m sure Dear Prudence has about 200 “listeners.” I just wanted to say that from my understanding, there are two kinds of compassion – what might be called political compassion and normal human compassion. The political kind – the mission of liberals – I am squeamish about. It wants to enforce charity and benevolence at the point of a governmental gun. Thats a necessity in an interdependent society, but it’s not real compassion. The real kind knows that ripping children from their parents is one of the worst crimes possible. It ruins the child, often in visible ways but also in ways that remain invisible if the child grows up to merely be a broken adult not a criminal. It ruins unnumbered following generations, because the children become botched parents. To not be a liberal is to not buy into humankindness by program and fiat. I get that. To not feel the agony of empathy for these children is to be disordered, sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.