Sunday, March 26, 2023

Deadpan-theism*


It occurred to me that if God existed, he would have to be the smallest possible thing rather than the largest. The next logical belief would be that he had made not "man" but everything in his image, creating a universe of like pieces that joining, would form derivative objects, morphed and diluted gods.

 

I shouldn’t have to explain this, but his being the largest would make no sense. He’d either be comprised of everything he had made – ridiculously ass-backwards. Or he’d be “outside” of everything – ridiculous by definition. Or the universe would be a prison the exact size of himself and he would be frozen and unmoving through eternity. Bye, Spinoza.

 

So the quest is to find him and get the goods. Information, the thrill of discovery, maybe power and immortality, or a pat on the back. For me, or for a different explorer, or possibly the whole world would win a prize:

 

A toaster oven.


- - - - - - - - - - -


* Yes, I'm aware this piece should have been titled: God For Goods: Find Me, Win a Toaster Oven. Though when I first conceived the idea, in a psychology paper ca. 1996, I called it: "Watch out for Peewee!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.