Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Mini-manifesto: There are many clients who just want to talk

 

I have always had clients who just want to talk, and who believe that talking and being listened to is therapy. As an opportunistic counselor, I am almost always watching for a strate­gic place and a reason to intervene with meaningful questions or proposals or prin­ciples or insights. But so often it is soon clear that nothing will land because it isn’t supposed to: The person is not here to change, but to be relieved.

Today I saw two women, A. and T., who have attended for months and who appre­ciate me richly for my ability to listen to their emotional or reportorial narra­tives. Often I can’t follow their laby­rin­thine and “cast of thou­sands” solilo­quys; I get entirely lost. Sometimes I find or fake reflec­tive expres­sions, some­times parrot (with nuanced tone) their last predi­cate. They beam, enthused, with magni­fied energy.

I am not sure what else to do, as the juggernaut, though inexorable, is sensitive and needy.

I can’t say I like this kind of client, these sessions. I sometimes use them to give myself humble value. That is: For these women, my being just a person is enough. But then I real­ize that just being a person may be extra­ordi­nary, considering the lack of empathy in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.