Friday, July 24, 2020

Don't lie: Don't we all want to stop being "we"?


Assuming, for the sake of sanity and not consigning ourselves to an eternity of hell, that Trump loses the upcoming election, I will want to forget that I know anything about society. I will not want to think that people think about other people, get alarmed about them, care about them, have opinions, tweets, marches and protests about them. I will not accept that there are any issues of any kind, other than how many clients I have on a particular day. There will be no problems of mine that you know about, and no problems of yours that I know about. TV news programs will be insipid dreams from yesteryear; Rachel Maddow will, in the Twilight Zone, prove to have been a yellowed scrap of paper from the mid-1800’s.

There will be no seriousness. I will murder the words “woke” and “gerrymander” with harsh imprecations from my horrific id if they hit me from somewhere in the ether. There will be no government, including president, Congress, foreign policy, Supreme Court, voter suppression and registration. I will see the morning, the sky, snow cones in summer, will go out with my wife to dinner, visit Santa Catalina, the island of romance.* There will be no “world”: too smothering.

This president and his coterie of worms have shown us that humanity en masse is worthless, a big headache, a big constipation, a big diarrhea. People who claim to love it are as sick as those who claim to hate it. I am fine with sick on the individual scale. When you have a whole world or society, germs like Trump spread far and wide. Whatever personal meaning may or should have formed in each person’s psyche starting in youth is replaced by ideas and urges caused by headlines. We become vessels of people’s neurotic trash.

Remember that personality is a constellation of defenses, popularity is our substitute for lack of love, meaning is feeling and our feelings have been so buried by childhood repression that we are living on our troubled nerve endings, our delusions, sugar water. These are enough of a burden. We don’t need, added to them, the memory of presidential excreta and the Charmin that is society.

- - - - - - - - - - -

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7zMKptjRs – Santa Catalina by The Four Preps, 1958.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.