Saturday, September 21, 2019

Why are they dull?


There once were moments in the dim dark past when I was subversive and immoral, and would read the other clinicians’ client progress notes. This exercise in disrespect for confidentiality would last all of a few hours, to be answered by a year or two’s cleansing abstinence. This was not because I’d come to my senses (I may not have those senses), but because the notes were always so god-awful dry-throated boring. Every single one was a tedious journalistic log of what the client had talked about in the hour (fifty minutes). I need not give you examples from memory: Clients talk about all sorts of things. What never appeared in any note was the slightest hint of actual psychotherapy carried out. The descriptive terminology would often be there (“Shane had a hypomanic episode over the weekend”), but never a strategy to reach something in the person, and even more never the slightest speculation on cause: What was the client’s wound? At most, “encouraged,” “reflected,” “supported.” This sorry state of misery obtained whether the writer was an intern, Master’s level counselor or social worker, or PhD or PsyD psychologist. No one possessed the shadow of Yalom, Janov or Freud, or even of Robin Norwood (Women Who Love Too Much) or Dear Abby or Dr. Phil (“your parents are mentally abusing you!”).

Why were – or let’s go there: are my fellow clinicians so emptied of deep and investigative thought? What happened to my profession when I wasn’t looking (in their files)?

My notes talk cause and healing, pain and regression, meaning and identity and flawed parents. While there may be some airy theory woven through the action that I believe to be relevant, the spirit of tectonic movement is there! I wonder: What is the spirit, the ardor that should stir other therapists’ brains when they’re with the client? What are they doing in their room?

I think the cause of this en-boring is the devolution of psychotherapy to the ubiquitous Cognitive paradigm, similar to the simplemind-ification of classical music from the abyssal Baroque to the thin-souled Classical aesthetic of Stamitz and Mozart and Haydn. A therapist could be as profound a wight as Kierkegaard, but if she misunderstands people to be in the here-and-now rather than peeping up from the past, to be alpha-and-omega the adult whose thoughts are the engine and steering wheel of their lives, then all will be the moment and its feelings, actions and events. All will be the surface of the pond. We can blame Albert Ellis and Aaron Beck for the atrophy of my art, as we can blame Donald Trump for the reduction to nausea of the social contract.

This sickens me, and I’m glad my office has a door that I can close on that world.

3 comments:

  1. Stick with it, TPS. Men especially don't like to regress (including psychologists!), rather they build stronger walls (out of rationalisation also!). That wound, barely scarred over, prevents use of words like baby, infant, child, toddler....temper, resentment due to humiliation, annihilation of that precarious developing self.....or how about - internalising an empty or distorted shell!! Like its some kind of black abyss that its better not to even peek over the edge. My own experience tells me that one has to at least peek over the edge, perhaps with a kind adult at your back (or your own internalised re-parented adult) just to make sure one doesn't descend in that dark abyss without the chance of clawing oneself back out). I, too, sometimes shake my head at the resistance to exploring the feelings of childhood (especially those lousy feelings that cause us all so much trouble). Maybe I'm over-egging this seeming resistance, on reflection, there was Winnicott, there was Bowlby, and of course, Janov. And ACES are being taken seriously hopefully to be taken into account in the schools of the future. There is hope. Just not yet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were separated at birth, Unknown (though I had to look up ACES).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, even one cell dividing into two is a kind of separation! This could be the well-spring?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.