Friday, March 24, 2017

Pessimistic therapy laws #3*


* I think it’s deplorable that people need therapy, that the profession of psychotherapy has to exist. This is the reason the work is needed: When children are hurt, their parents are too incompetent to help them. That’s it: The natural source of help is no help. And the generational wheel of deprivation defense and projection rolls on.

(Our exemplars-in-irony: Adam and Eve. The first two people on Earth, the blossom of humanity, and their nature is to sabotage each other.)

* Because therapy comes – unlike medicine’s more objective virtue – out of human lousiness, I bring a bit of radiant warm affection to my people that may be at least a little reparative. My particular vibe is positivity and buoyancy in response to a person whose sickness can’t be fully healed. That’s my particular sight, but I am married to it.

* I have noticed that deep beneath my remaining narcissism, the decent work I know I do, my love for my wife and pet and a scattering of benevolence, I feel that I am poison. Now that is a felt-sense at the birth or infancy root of my being, given a condemning label. Take a beginning-of-life visceral sense with no definition and feel it in adult living, and the incongruity is bound to make such labeling happen. Two examples: I sometimes feel that my presence poisons my dog as he knows my love is compromised by sickness; and I contribute to my wife’s depression merely by my existence. This is not drama, but being in touch with my loss of life at the very beginning. In almost every moment day to day that fact-feeling is buried, but is nevertheless as basic, true and ineradicable as A = A.

* If I am this self-contradictory (life mixed with death), I am guessing that most people are. This is what we’re doing therapy “to.” So doesn’t radiant warm affection make sense?

* We are holistic – mind, body and time a unity. Doesn’t that mean our poison must out one day in some physical act, as holistic justice? Is homicide or suicide or endless mayhem right, if we’ve kept the death-part unredeemed for the entirety of our life? Or should we be good forever, for goodness’s sake?

* I like to think that psychotherapy can turn the person just barely to the good, like a road that veers off to an apple orchard just before it reaches cliff’s edge.

- - - - - - - - - - -


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but I'd suggest you first read "Feeling-centered therapy" and "Ocean and boat" for a basic introduction to my kind of theory and therapy.